Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Coming Out - Country Style

So apparently Chely Wright has come out. I am a country fan and had no idea who she was. I did know her number one hit "single white female," but did not know her name. I congratulate her on this and encourage others to come out as well, although the big deal that is being made will probably keep others closeted. But, what I don't understand is everyone saying that she is the first country artist to come out. That's not true. Everyone seems to be forgetting KD Lang was originally a country artist and came out as a country artist. I even knew who she was when she came out.

I'm sure most people have forgotten about her as a country artist since she has changed genres. But, it should also be noted that it was not her being gay that killed her music from being played on country stations, but the fact that she came out as a vegetarian and said that eating meat was bad. That was Lang's downfall.

Now the big thing will be for a male country artist to come out. While coming out for anyone is hard, it is my impression, especially among men, that being lesbian is somewhat okay, but being gay is altogether a different thing. That will be the next hurdle for country music, and for sports as well.

I think the church's position on this issue is well known, and one I disagree with so I will not put up the statement, except to say that it does say that we are all "of sacred worth."

Update: Just finished Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son by Kevin Jennings, founder of GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Educators Network), which was actually started just up the street at Concord Academy. He has some truly horrific stories, not only of his experience growing up in the south as a gay man, but also from around the country of what takes place in schools. One of my true regrets, and one I'm not sure I will ever forgive myself for, was the harassment we gave to someone in elementary school. He was routinely tormented, and was called Pauline, instead of Paul, by everyone except the teachers, and that includes me. I have no idea what happened to Paul, but I sure pray that he made it through okay. What also stands out for me is that the teachers knew this was going on and they did nothing to stop it. At no point were we told that this was inappropriate behavior. They seemingly turned a blind eye, and in turning away and ignoring this behavior they said it was okay. The same we do today when we don't stand up and say that this is unacceptable. I highly recommend the book for those interested.

I give thanks that things are changing, and that my daughters are going to grow up in a world very different from what I saw as a child, but know that there is still a lot of hate out there and that the battle is far from won. So let us rejoice in the changes that have occurred, but let us all keep working because we are not there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment