Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Power of Thank You

I recently sent out thank you notes to all of the leaders in our congregation and others who are volunteering. It is quite obvious that this has never been done in this congregation. I also know it was never done in my prior church. I wanted to but didn't have the authority to make that happen and so it never did. The feedback has been amazing. It may turn out to be one of the most important things I have done in my first two months here in building relationships.

Now the reason I did it was not to garner acclaim, but to truly thank those who give of themselves to the church. We are primarily a volunteer organization and yet few of us ever take the time to actually thank our volunteers in a formal and personal way. Printing names in the bulletin is great, but taking the time to actually individually thank everyone should be a requirement of all pastors.

If you have not taken the time to individually thank your volunteers then you should. As pastors we are only successful because of those who do all the work that keeps the church going.

No comments:

Post a Comment