Friday, October 16, 2020

Pastor Appreciation Month

October is Pastor Appreciation Month. Someone who knows I'm a minister, but doesn't attend my church, came up to me and asked what she could do to show her minister her appreciation during this time. Here is what I told her:

1. Pray for them. But don't just pray, also tell them that you are praying for them and ask if there are any particular concerns that they need lifted up. Knowing others are praying for me always encourages me.

2. Write them a card or a note of appreciation. While emails saying the same thing are nice, they are not necessarily as effective. I keep a collection of these cards on my desk and on my worst days I look at them to be reminded that not everyone hates me or thinks I am doing a terrible job, and it helps to keep me going. (Her church secretary had told her the same thing, but she didn't believe it.)

3. Volunteer to help. Tell them you are willing to assist in some ministry where there is a need, or ask them where they could be of assistance. Please note, this does not mean tell them what else should/could be done and they would assist if the minister will start it, that just adds more stress. Instead, try and take something off of their plate, or someone else's plate, in order to make the church more effective in it's ministry.

There are lots of other things that can be done, but this is a great place to start, and I can guarantee your minister will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment