Friday, June 12, 2009

First Entry

Greetings!

I have had the intention of writing this blog for a long time, but have never sat down and gotten it done. So, here is my first shot. It's been an interesting seven days. Last Friday Linda celebrated 15 years clean and sober. But, she also heard last Friday that a friend of hers, who had more than 15 years clean, had relapsed and died of an overdose. So our prayers go out to everyone who battles addictions in all their forms, and for their friends and family who suffer and battle along with them. Then on Saturday we had to put one of our cats, Abu, to sleep, as he more than likely had intestinal cancer. He was a 14 pounder but he had dropped down to 6 pounds. So, we spent the weekend trying to explain everything to Samantha, and trying to answer all her questions about sickness, death and heaven. Hard stuff for a three year old to understand.

There have been some very cute moments though. We also had a car die on us the week before, so I explained to her that the car was old and the shop couldn't do anything to make it better and so we had to get a new car. So when she was asking about Abu, she asked if he was old like the car and so the shop couldn't do anything to make him better?

Then to top it all off my beloved Yankees lost three more to the Sox. I'm not really all that upset about this because when all is said and done we are still only two games back with 101 games to go. Although if there should happen to be an managerial change I wouldn't complain too much. But I do have to say that NESN is unwatchable with Dennis Eckersley doing the color commentary. He has to be replaced and soon. And while I'm on this topic, one thing I've found is that those who give me the hardest time about the Yankees losing are those are don't care (and in some cases know nothing) about baseball. Why is that?

Well there it is, my first blog ever. My intention is to write something everyday at work, but no guarantees that will happen. But, I will use it to discuss lots of different topics, some related to religion, some not, but this will give me a way to talk about things that interest me that don't come up in church, as well as to expand on those things I do talk about.

Blessings,
John

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a great first blog. It's been a while since it was published but I'm commenting anyway.

    Samantha continues to talk about Abu and ask questions about heaven. I assure her the heaven is a wonderful place and Abu isn't sick anymore (he had been sick for months and Samantha was aware of his struggle). I also stressed that Abu is with Grandaddy Joe. Grandaddy Joe is my father who died days before we found out we were going to have Samantha. While grieving for Abu, I have been very comforted by Samantha's love, her concern for Abu's well-being, and her questions about heaven and Grandaddy Joe.

    I got clean on June 5, 1994. I was in denial and had no intention of staying clean; I was just going through the motions hoping things would improve so I could use again. Imagine my surprise to have 15 years clean. Don't get me wrong, those 15 years have included lots of work and many conscious decisions to stay clean, but I can't believe how quickly it went. If there is one thing I have learned from the 12 steps is that relationships make all the difference. God brings people into our lives to share our journey, to teach us a lesson, to give us strength and guidance or a combination of all three. There are so many people who have shared this journey with me and for them I am very grateful. God has certainly blessed me.

    -Linda V Nash

    ReplyDelete