Currently reading a book by Stephen Prothero on religious illiteracy in America. This is more than just not knowing about other religions but also the lack of knowledge about Judaism and Christianity. Here is a literacy quiz that he gave to his students :
1. Name the four gospels. List as many as you can.
2. Name a sacred text of Hinduism.
3. What is the name of the holy book of Islam?
4. Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born?
5. President George W. Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho road. What Bible story was he invoking?
6. What are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Old Testament?
7. What is the Golden Rule?
8. "God helps those who help themselves": Does this appear in the Bible? If so where?
9. "Blessed in the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God": Does this appear in the Bible? If so where?
10. Name the Ten Commandments. List as many as you can.
11. Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism. List as many as you can.
12. What are the seven sacraments of Catholicism? List as many as you can.
13. The First Amendment says two things about religion, each it's own "clause." What are the two clauses?
14. What is Ramadan? In what religion is it celebrated?
15. Match the Bible characters with the stories in which they appear. Hint: Some characters may be matched with more than one story or vice versa.
Adam and Eve Exodus
Paul Binding of Isaac
Moses Olive Branch
Noah Garden of Eden
Jesus Parting of the Red Sea
Abraham Road to Damascus
Serpent Garden of Gethsemane
How do you think you did? Email me for the answers and scoring.