Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Phoenix Gets Blizzard

As we are sitting here waiting for the first snow in a month, I didn't realize that this blizzard had already hit all the rest of the country. I grew up in Phoenix and saw it snow three times, and it only stuck once in my 22 years there, so imagine my surprise when I saw this headline on Yahoo! "Second blizzard hits U.S." I had to call my parents and talk them through what to do, how to shovel out the cars, how to drive, after all Phoenix does not own plows so the streets would be snowed in. But then I found out it wasn't the US, it was just the East coast. Silly me, how did I forget that only the East coast counts as the US?

Growing up in the West I knew there was an East coast bias. My entire life I always heard people say "an entire generation has grown up never seeing a World Series game." I could never figure out what they meant because I watched every World Series game, but then it dawned on me. I was not part of the conversation because I lived three hours later and not on the East coast. I didn't matter; they weren't concerned about me. I also happened to have spent nearly my entire life in the two states (Arizona and New Mexico) that the national weather man stands in front of when doing the whether, so he/she can cover the East coast, mid-west and then turn and do California.

If you don't believe what I'm saying, just pay attention to the news on any channel, including ESPN, and you'll see what I'm talking about, and once you notice it you'll see just how glaring it is. And, just so you know there is an entire group of people that live outside of the area known as the Northeast. You should go some time just to see them all, and the countryside is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment