Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Am I Blue

With two young children, we watch a lot of Pixar and Disney films, and then watch them again and again. Fortunately, their favorites are really good, with Cars being at the top. It seems that every time I watch it I catch something that I missed before. Pixar did a phenomenal job in the detail and the jokes in the dialogue. But I think one of the messages at the heart of the movie is about friendship and faithfulness, and so Lightning rejects joining Dinoco at the end of the film to stay with Rust-eze. He does this even though being "Dinoco Blue" has been what he has been dreaming about the entire time. It's a good message.

So then when I go to the toy store I'm always caught off guard that they produce Lightning McQueen in Dinoco blue. Why? Doesn't that throw the very message of the movie right out the window? Or is Pixar saying that it's good that Lightning didn't give in, but they have no problems cashing in and not staying loyal. I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment