Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Television

Last night Ken Burns debuted his 10th inning on PBS as his continuation of his excellent Baseball documentary. I am currently attending a meeting in St. Louis so did not have time to watch it but I did DVR it so I can watch it later. On NPR on Sunday there was an interview with someone who has created a new show which sounded really interesting, and that got me to wondering about television viewing. I hear people talking about all these shows they watch and I often wonder where they find the time. Now I do have to say that every night that I am home I am normally watching the Yankees game, so it’s not as if I don’t watch television. But a lot of the time I am also doing other things at the same time. We do DVR some programs, but I find myself deleting more of the shows than I actually watch simply because I don’t have the time and I need to clear up space on the DVR.

As a pastor I know I should be keeping up with what people are interested in, but I find myself getting further and further out of touch what is popular on TV and I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing?

On a totally unrelated note, except that it deals with TV, on Saturday Nickelodeon called for a day to have kids get out and play. But they didn’t just call for it they actually put their money where their mouth is, because for 3 hours they stopped showing any shows or doing any advertisements on all of their channels and told everyone to get outside. So congratulations go out to Nickelodeon for putting aside this time and then making sure that kids cannot stay in and watch television.

No comments:

Post a Comment