Thursday, March 24, 2011

Caring For The Caregiver

It's been a little while since I've posted because I was out most of last week dealing with a kidney stone. I ended up making two trips to the ER and taking lots of pain meds, which made me loopy and not exactly able to function fully or effectively.

This situation has also put me on the opposite side of the care spectrum for awhile as members of the congregation are now concerned about my health and well being rather than vice-versa. This is a strange spot to be in.

The first reason is because I think we have to ask if the caregiver of a community can ever fully transition to the care receiver? Certainly people can be concerned and offer expressions of concern, but can the congregation provide me with the care that would normally be given by a pastor? I don't think they can and it changes the dynamics of roles in ways that may be unhealthy in the long-term.

The second is because I am not an incredibly forthcoming person. I am not one who tells everyone everything about what is going on in my life, especially about personal matters, and I consider my health to be one of those issues (even though I am now putting it out where everyone can see it). But now I am having to tell everyone who asks about my urinary patterns, which leaves me quite a bit uncomfortable; we have crossed a boundary that I am not happy crossing, but at the same time cannot really say "I'd rather not talk about it with you." I also cannot really disappear for a week and not tell people what has happened. That isn't healthy either.

The third, which I have troubled over for a long time, is that most ministers do not have a minister. When I need to be cared for the way that I care for my community, I do not have that resource, nor do my wife or children for that matter. I know this is not a new issue for anyone in the clergy, but it becomes more apparent at times like these.

These are certainly not things they teach you in seminary.

No comments:

Post a Comment