Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Death of a Giant

When I received my call to the ministry I refused to believe that it was for me. I could not see myself in the church. I did not believe that there was a place for my voice, and so I ignored it. I ignored it for a number of years. But then I came across The Good Book by Rev. Peter Gomes, and I changed my mind.

In Rev. Gomes' book I found my voice in the wilderness, or perhaps God's still small voice crying out to me. It was because of that book that I accepted my call and that I am a minister today.

Rev. Gomes died on Monday evening at the age of 68.

I only met him once and I could not pass up the opportunity to tell him how much he meant to me, and he was very gracious in his words to me. On that occasion he had just delivered the best sermon I have ever heard (it was on stewardship). There is no doubt that the accolades that he was one of America's finest preachers were deserved. If you never heard him preach then you were missing something.

Although he undoubtedly had no idea who I am, I will deeply miss his presence in my life and I will miss his voice. I owe my own voice to him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, colleagues and students. He was a giant in his profession and a giant in my life.

I know that our master has already said "well done my good and faithful servant."

You can read more about Rev. Gomes in this piece from the Harvard Gazette.

No comments:

Post a Comment