Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cokesbury Doesn't Get It

As a United Methodist Pastor I would love to be able to support Cokesbury, and I do when I can, but every time I get one of their catalogs I also get really frustrated.  I just received their catalog for Advent and Christmas items and there are lots of things I would like to use for my congregation but I can't because they are too expensive.  I would love to be able to give my members Advent devotionals to use, or things to do as a family to prepare for Christmas, but most of the items are $7 and up.

At the same time I am getting catalogs and samples from other companies with similar programs.  Except this time the devotionals are less than a dollar, and the more I buy they less expensive they get.  Now I am never going to reach their lower prices because my congregation is not big enough, but it is also that fact that makes price even more of a concern.

The vast majority (70%) of United Methodist churches are under 100 in worship each Sunday, and I assume their finances are as tight as ours are.  We would like to use Cokesbury, but the simple fact is I go elsewhere for most things these days because others can offer similar products for less money.  They simply don't match the reality of what is going on in the local church.

No comments:

Post a Comment