Friday, October 22, 2010

Church Signs

I may have written about this before, I can’t remember, but on my way to one of the conference centers, there is a church that on the sign outside it has all of the normal information: pastors name, worship times, etc. But then they also say “visitors welcome.” It always makes me wonder, do you need to say that? What does it mean that you have to say that?

Yesterday’s quote on this page was from Margaret Thatcher, and said something like, “Power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, then you aren’t.” And I wonder if the same thing applies to churches. If you have to say that visitors are welcome is that because visitors aren’t truly welcome? Shouldn’t people know that they are welcome to your church? And if people don’t know that, what is going on and what needs to be done to correct it?

I do not believe that saying on your sign that visitors are welcome is either correct or inviting. Would you go to a restaurant that said on its sign “customers welcome”?

1 comment:

  1. In Bedford, MA, there's a church that has a sign that reads, "Visitors Expected." I've always rather liked that.

    ReplyDelete