Monday, October 11, 2010

How The Mind Works

So I was sitting in the airport at St Louis waiting for my connecting flight, when I look across the room and see a man sitting with his luggage, but he has his bag pulled up tightly against him and one of his hands is sort of hidden behind the bag and there is something coming up that looks distinctively like smoke.

I instantly think that the man has a cigarette going that he is trying to hide behind the bag. Now I have to note that the airport, as strange as this seems in this day and age, does have a smoking section, so I was sort of inclined to think this was cigarette smoke anyways. So then I’m sort of indignant about this and start wondering where the cops are. There had been two sitting by one of the gates in their golf cart, which was plugged into wall charging, and I wonder if I should go get then to put an end to this travesty. I even begin to smell the cigarette, and then the man raises his hand up to take another puff.

But, instead of a smoking cigarette he had a steaming cup of coffee, and I was a little abashed. What was amazing to me was that in my mind I had already decided it was a cigarette and so my mind thought if you see a cigarette you should also be able to smell it and therefore I began to smell it even though it wasn’t actually there.

No comments:

Post a Comment