Thursday, December 8, 2011

Multiracial Crayola

I recently saw a commercial for Crayola products which totally surprised me, and had both my wife and I turn to each other to confirm that what happened actually happened. This commercial featured an interracial couple, and it was very clear that they were married. In doing a little research I found that this was not the first interracial couple in a commercial, but it is most definitely the first I can remember seeing.

The fact it was surprising shows how far we still have to go in our portrayal of race relations in this country. It was also a white male and black female which is still more acceptable than the reverse, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

I applaud Crayola for this commercial, and wrote to them to tell them, and hope that we will see a lot more. My wife and I already buy crayola products for our daughters, but will be making sure they get our dollars over other companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment